2 years ago, IRIS Relief sent a famine relief team to the Turkana region. The region was badly hit by the 2011 Horn of …
Relief Horn of Africa Famine
Horn of Africa Famine Relief
Severe drought and food shortage have displaced millions in search of relief and security. Act now to provide aid to the most vulnerable.
A severe drought is affecting the entire East Africa region. (See Wikipedia, “2011 East Africa drought”.) The worst in 60 years, the drought has resulted in famine affecting millions in Somalia, Kenya, and Ethiopia. Other Horn of Africa countries are also experiencing a food crisis, including Djibouti, Sudan, South Sudan, and Uganda. Mass numbers of people have died due to lack of food, severe malnutrition and unsanitary conditions.
Iris Relief is mobilizing missionaries, medical personnel, and people with a wide range of skills from around the world to bring the Kingdom of Heaven to this devastated region of the earth. From its Kenya base, Iris Relief is sending teams to:
- Bring food, clean water, basic sanitation, and practical provision of all sorts to drought-affected areas
- Release love, joy and peace to drought-stricken villages
- Provide cattle feed and other supplies to save the livestock and preserve local economies
- Offer counseling and spiritual support to those who have been traumatized by the crisis
- Pray and intercede over the land, communities, and people groups
- Encourage and partner with national relief organizations
From the News Blog
My heart is filled with gratitude to Iris Relief and many others who partnered with me on a mission of mercy to the war …
In the News
- More Food Supplies to Wajir, Kenya, Horn of Africa
BY: Elaine Savage, IRIS Relief Wajir Team Member
19 March 2012
- Supplying Food, Medicines and Blankets to Somalia
7 February 2012
- Kenyan child is adopted on iris relief trip
BY: Cassandra Soars, Turkana Team
20 October 2011
- God healed the land
BY: Raphael Vaney, Wijir Team
19 October 2011
- Turkana, Kenya IRIS Relief Team
BY: Steve and Cassandra Soars
19 October 2011
- Kenya Aquifers Discovered In Dry Turkana Region
11 September 2013
- Kenya: One Year On, Resilience Takes Centre Stage
25 July 2012
- SOMALIA: A YEAR AFTER FAMINE DECLARED
18 July 2012
- Agencies Warn Poor Rain Threaten Somalia’s Recovery
13 April 2012
- Somali Famine: Situation ‘still desperate’ warns agency
20 January 2012
*Wikipedia Reference links:
1 OCHA (UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs) (10 June 2011). “Eastern Africa Drought Humanitarian Report No. 3”. reliefweb.int. Retrieved 12 July 2011.
2 Mike Wooldridge (4 July 2011). “Horn of Africa tested by severe drought”. BBC News. Retrieved 12 July 2011.
3 The Guardian (UK), News > Global development, Supported by Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Horn of Africa drought: interactive map, Paddy Allen, Source: OCHA, 2 August 2011.
4 Ford, Liz (21 July 2011). “Somalia famine: US pledges a further $28m in aid”. The Guardian. Retrieved 21 July 2011.
5 OCHA, FEWS-Net (24 June 2011). “East Africa: Famine warning for southern Somalia”. FEWS-Net. Retrieved 14 July 2011.
Voices From Russia, Too- Blog site
Child on green mat; Woman and child on Cot; Child with flies, Child with orange blanket
Map - Bing World Map
The views and opinions of authors of copy or images expressed in referenced links do not necessarily state or reflect those of Iris. The inclusion of links to web sites other than the Iris sites is not intended to endorse, recommend, or favor any views expressed, or commercial products or services offered on these outside sites, or the organizations sponsoring the sites, by trade name, trademark, manufacture, or otherwise.
“Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven” - Matthew 6:10
2 Spread the word
You can make a difference. Spread the word about relief efforts by posting a link on Facebook, writing a blog, telling your friends and co-workers, sharing at church and more.
4 Join the Team
Go on a mission trip into a relief zone.
Click here for more info.