Iris Philippines embraces the Iris Global core values of:
1. We understand that we can find God, and can experience intimacy, communication and companionship with Him in His Presence, if we share His love for righteousness.
2. We are totally dependent on Him for everything, and we need and expect miracles of all kinds to sustain us and confirm the Gospel in our ministry.
3. We look for revival among the broken, humble and lowly, and start at the bottom with ministry to the poor. God chooses the weak and despised things of the world to shame the proud, demonstrating His own strength and wisdom. Our direction is lower still.
4. We understand the value of suffering in the Christian life. Learning to love requires willingness to suffer for the sake of righteousness. Discipline and testing make saints out of us, and produce in us the holiness, without which we will not see God’s face and share His glory. With Paul we rejoice in our weaknesses, for when we are weak we are strong.
5. The joy of the Lord is not optional and far outweighs our suffering! In Jesus it becomes our motivation, reward and spiritual weapon. In His Presence is fullness of joy, and with Paul we testify that in all our troubles our joy knows no bounds (2 Cor. 7:4). It is our strength and energy, without which we die.
In 2010 Iris Philippines was registered as a foundation after God spoke to Dominique Florangel Courtenay during a visit, saying “Start Here” as she was invited by the Chinese Women association of the Philippines to visit Smokey Mountain in Tondo. At that time, Smokey Mountain was a garbage landfill with thousands of families living upon it and was in the middle of one of the most densely populated slums in the world. Now Dominique serves as Base Director and Iris Philippines is a team that desires to yield their hearts to experience and express the reality of Jesus in which love must look like bread for the hungry, water for the thirsty, healing for the sick, family for the orphans and peace for the restless. In 2014 the dumpsite no longer allows for people to create housing within it yet the team’s main focus is an area called Permanent Housing across the street where over 30,000 of the garbage scavengers live.
The team also includes several volunteer missionaries, Generous Women—a group of ten women who were once scavengers and who receive the love of Jesus to see their community transformed. We host several women’s Bible Studies through the week, a men’s fellowship dinner and a Sunday children’s service. Through the support of the Body of Christ compelled by his kindness we are able to host weekly feeding programs for roughly 200 children a week, conduct sponsorship programs for women, and create micro business projects.
We are often visited by short term mission groups who partner with us to bring fruitful outreaches and various activities. It is our pleasure to host and partner with fellow workers from all over the world, and together depend on the power and love of the Holy Spirit to guide, teach and bear fruit that remains in Tondo. It is our dream to see the fruit of Jesus Christ transform this oppressed refuge for scavengers into a city village that is flourishing and captivates the hearts of the Philippines and beyond with the hope of how good Jesus is and that he is the reward to those who passionately seek him. You are invited.